Skip to the content
Joule Physics Laboratory    

Date added: Dec 15, 2008

Good News for Salford Physics in the UK Research Assessment Exercise 2008

UK Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008

The University of Salford manages its research through Research Institutes, specifically developed to foster cross-disciplinary approaches. All full-time academic Physics staff are members of Salford University's Institute for Materials Research, and all these staff were recently assessed in the UK-wide Research Assessment Exercise (RAE 2008). The Institute for Materials Research submitted research to Unit of Assessment 29 'Metallurgy and Materials'.

We are delighted to say that 50% of our research activity was judged to be 'World-Leading' (4*) or 'Internationally Excellent' (3*), a further 35% is recognised Internationally (2*). In total, 85% was classified as of International Standing. Research Fortnight ranked our research institute as 2nd for Materials research in the North West and as 8th in UK.

As stated in the Independent, “Research Fortnight's analysis of today's assessment exercise is widely credited with being most respected within universities, and the closest in predicting the outcome of the Government's allocation of research grants.”

The complete RAE 2008 Power Rankings for Metallurgy and Materials, generated by Research Fortnight, is shown below.

1 University of Manchester

2 University of Oxford

3 University of Cambridge

4 University of Sheffield

5 University of Birmingham

6 Queen Mary, University of London

7 Imperial College London

8 University of Salford

9 Swansea University

10 University of Liverpool

11 Sheffield Hallam University

12 University of Ulster

13 Manchester Metropolitan University

14 University of Kent

15 Open University

16 Coventry University

17 Glyndwr University

18 University of Northampton

19 University of the West of Scotland

20 London Metropolitan University

More News: Previous Previous Page | Latest News

 

Top of Page Top of Page