Prof Samia Nefti-Meziani
Professional advisory or consultancy work:
- Vice Chairman of the IEEE on Robotics and Automation, UK and Northern Ireland.
- Member, Autonomous Systems Expert Group, North-West Science Council, since 2007.
- North Academic representative for North West Aerospace alliances and Prime companies .
- Member of European Network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems. http://www.eucognition.org/members.htm
- In the core Group of the prestigious Shangh'AI consortium in artificial intelligence and Robotics.
- Guest lecture on Swarm intelligence using risk management. https://cast.switch.ch/vod/clips/1vxh2ndrz7
- Organizer and Chair of the first UK Symposium on Cognitive Robotics and Learning - 20 October 2010.
- Organizer and Chair of the first UK Conference on Cognitive Robotics and Learning - October 2011.
- Visiting fellow at Lip6, Paris VII since 2007, which is an international leading centre in scientific research and advanced technology.
Service as an external assessor:
- Invited by the Indian Institution (RoboTech Labs) to validate and certify their courses in Robotics and Automation. RobotTceh have a tie-up with IIT Roorkee, IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur (and others) and these are amongst the most illustrious of India's IITs.
- External Examiner for PhD student at Sheffield University 2011.
- External examiner for a PhD at Manchester Metropolitan University (2006).
- External Examiner of a PhD at the University of H.B, 2003.
- External examiner at Paris VII University in 2004.
- Examiner at the Section of Human Physiology, Faculty of Medicine - D.S.B.T.A., University of Ferrara in Italy. The work was on Spike sorting using SVD and Fuzzy C-Means techniques.
Referee for Journals:
- IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control; IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems; IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation; IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics; IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks; IEEE Trans. on Neural Systems and Rehab. Eng.; IEEE Sensors, Fuzzy Sets and Syst.; Control and Cybernetics; Intern. Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems; Intern. Journal of Robotics and Automation, Intern. Journal of Neural Syst.; Intern. Journal of General Systems; Journal of Intell. & Fuzzy Syst.;etc.),Associate editor of ICRA and IROS.
Academic visits, secondments, collaborations:
- LIP6 France, Genoa and IIT (2007-2009).
- Collaboration with IIT in Italy, Birmingham, Delft University.
- Two professors, one from India (Bitz Pilani) and one from Paris VII, France.
- Professor Francisco Javier Brosed Dueso from the University of Zaragoza, Spain.
Journal editorships and editorial board memberships:
- Editor of the book "Advances in Cognitive Systems", by IET, May 2010.
- Guest editor of a Special Issue for Advances in Artificial Intelligence Hindawi Publishing
- Member of the editorial board in Bentham Science Publishers.
- Editor of the 2nd IRIS Postgraduate Conference, May 18-19,2006, Salford,UK, http://www.iris.salford.ac.uk/archive/Conferences/Postgraduate
- Editor of the 3rd IRIS Postgraduate Conference, June 12, 2007, Salford, UK
- Editor of the 4th IRIS Postgraduate Conference, November 2008, Salford, UK
- Member of advisory editorial board of Bentham Science Publishers http://www.bentham.org/cseng/EBM.htm
Other media, innovative or creative activities:
- Guest lecture on Swarm intelligence using risk management. This lecture was broadcast world-wide on 3rd December 2009. https://cast.switch.ch/vod/clips/1vxh2ndrz7
Other Notable Evidence:
- Hosting the 2011 Shangh'AI lectures in artificial intelligence and Robotics https://cast.switch.ch/vod/clips/1vxh2ndrz7
- Appointed in 2010 as a Vice-chairman of the IEEE Robotics and Automation, UK&RI.
- Member, Autonomous Systems Expert Group, North-West Science Council, since 2007.
- Member of European Network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems.
- Organized and chaired a European workshops CogSys'08 in Munich, June 2008. Following that, I have been invited by the IET to edit a research book on Cognitive systems which appeared in May 2010.
- Associate Editor of ICRA
- Associate Editor of IROS
- Member of the prestigious IEEE Technical Committee on Fuzzy Systems.
- Organizer and the chair the first UK Conference on Cognitive Robotics and Learning October 2011 http://www.ieee.org.uk/ras.html
- Programme chair and organizer of an international conference Doctoral Consortium Paris in June 2007 www.nldb.org
- Member of an advisory editorial board of Bentham Science Publishers which is a leading international publisher of high quality scientific journals and books http://www.bentham.org/cseng/EBM.htm
- Chairing a session in IEEE International Conference on E-Commerce Technology, 'Fuzzy Trust Model for E-Commerce', Munich, Germany .on 12 July 2005, in July 2005.
- Chairing two sessions on 'Fuzzy application' in IEEE International Conference on SMC, in September 2002.
- Chairing a session in UKACC'2008.
- Invited talk on 'Advances in Cognitive Systems' at Lancaster University.
- Invited talk on 'Cognitive approach for clustering fuzzy data' at LIP6 University, France, 2009.
- Invited speaker on Séminaire National sur le Langage Naturel et l'intelligence Artificielle, Chlef, 2007.
- Delivering lectures on Neuro-Fuzzy systems in Creteil University, France, 2003.
- In 2005, I was a visiting professor at LIP6 University in France. I gave a seminar on Neuro-Fuzzy modelling.
- Member of the IPC IROS'2011 and ICRA 2011
- Member of the IPC IFSA'2009, 2010 / EUSFLAT'2009,2010
- Member of the ITC of IEEE IJCNN 2008, 2009,2010
- Member of the ITC FUZZ-IEEE 2008, 2009,2010
- Member of the ITC IEEE CEC 2008,2009,2010
- International Conference on Control (UKACC) 2008
- Member of IPC of the twelfth ICANL I( - To Date 2007 Paris,France).
- Member of the IPC of the 4th International Conference on Innovation in Information Technology, Dubai November 18-20 2007, Computing and Information Systems.
- Member of the IPC of the 2004 International Conference on Algorithmic Mathematics and Computer Science (AMCS'04 , IC-AI AAS, IKE, METMBS,AMCS)
Dr Thurai Rahulan
External Examiner (Research):
- MPhil in "Generic modelling and control of a modular in-pipe robot", University of Newcastle, November 2000.
- PhD in "Direct surface generation and surface oriented control", Lancaster University, April 2002.
- PhD in "Intelligent automotive braking system", University of Coventry, September 2002.
- PhD in "Comparison of some new schemes for the control of the boiler of a nuclear power plant", Lancaster University, April 2003.
- PhD in "Prediction of non-linear aeroelastic behaviour", University of Manchester, April 2005.
- PhD in "Aeroservoelastic prediction", University of Manchester, January 2008.
- PhD in "Experimental investigation of the low speed flutter of an aerofoil", University of Manchester, October 2008.
- PhD in "A design methodology for circulation control manoeuvre effectors", University of Manchester, May 2009.
- PhD in "Adaptive internal structural concepts", University of Manchester, November 2009.
External Examiner (Teaching):
- Kingston University
- - MEng/BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering, BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering Design and BEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering Studies from Oct 2005 till Sep 2010.
- University of Hertfordshire
- - BEng (Hons) Aerospace Computer Aided, Mechanical, Manufacturing and Automotive Engineering and BSc (Hons) Technology with Management from Oct 2007 till Sep 2008;
- - BSc (Hons) Aerospace Technology with Management / Level 2/3 Aerospace Technology from Oct 2005 till Sep 2009,
- - Sc (Hons) Aerospace Technology with Pilot Studies from Sep 2007 till Sep 2009.
- Practitioner comments on BEng (Hons) & BSc (Hons) in Automotive Systems Engineering, University of Wolverhampton, 24 May 1999.
- The External Member of the Validation Panel for MEng (BEng Honours interim award) programme, University of Hertfordshire, 29th May 2003.
- The External Consultant for transfer of registration of a candidate from MPhil to PhD for a study on "State and parameter estimation for vehicle dynamic control", University of Coventry, November 2004.
- Member of the Air and Space Gallery Advisory Board at the Manchester Science and Industry Museum since October 2004.
- The External Assessor for a new BEng degree programme in Aircraft Systems Engineering at the Institute of Technology Carlow, Republic of Ireland, 16th June 2005.
- The External Scrutiniser to validate and accredit the BEng (Hons) in Aeronautical Engineering, University of Glamorgan, 20th February 2008.
- The External Member of the Validation Panel of the MEng and the BEng with Honours in Aerospace Engineering at the University of the West of England, 8th April 2011.
- Chairman of the Association of Aerospace Universities from Nov 2006 - present.
- Co-opted Member of the Council of the Royal Aeronautical Society from June 2008 to May 2009. Elected Member of the Council of the Royal Aeronautical Society from June 2009 to May 2012.
- Secretary of the International Society of Multiphysics since its inception on 8th Dec 2010.
- Committee Member of the Manchester Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society since April 2005. Vice-Chairman of the Manchester Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society from May 2009 - present.
- Committee Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Aerospace North West from April 2004 - present.
- Auditor of the financial accounts of The Aviation Society (Manchester Airport) from Sep 2004 - present.
- Auditor of the financial accounts of the Manchester Branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society April 2007 - April 2010.
- Concorde, Avro RJX-100, Hawker Siddeley Trident and Douglas DC-10 Technical Tour Guide for the professionals at the Aviation Viewing Park, Manchester International Airport since July 2004.
- Chairman of the Regional Advisory Group for the Air and Space Conference at Manchester UK organised by the Council of the European Aerospace Societies (CEAS), 26 - 30 October 2009.
- Live TV interviews on worldwide broadcast concerning the McDonnell Douglas MD-82 fatal accident at Madrid Airport on 20th August 2008 - Sky News 1745 Wednesday 20th August 2008 and 1530 Thursday 21st August 2008.
- Live TV interviews on nationwide broadcasts concerning the Boeing 777-200ER accident at Heathrow on 17th January 2008 - Newsnight on BBC2 (Thursday 17th January), 7pm News on BBC News 24 (Friday 18th January) and telephone interview for the 8pm News on Radio 5 Live (Sunday 20th January).
- Live TV interview on regional broadcast concerning the Hudson River ditching of the Airbus A320 on 15th January 2009 - 5pm News on Channel M.
- Live interview on local BBC Manchester radio discussing Wright Brothers achievements (Dec 2003), Rocket powered Cars for world speed record (Sep 2006) and the Airbus A380 airliner (Aug 2007).
- Appearance on TV documentaries: "Passenger Jets" (2003), "Aircraft Carrier Catapults" (2004) and "Inside Hurricane Katrina" (2005).
Dr Edmund Chadwick
Evidence of Esteem:
- Outstanding young CFD researcher award, ICFD conference, University of Oxford 1998.
- Invited speaker, International Conference on Mathematical Fluid Dynamics, University of Hyderabad, India 2004.
- Regularly asked to review articles for journals including Proc. R. Soc. A, J. Fluid Mech., Phys. Fluids, Appl. Math. Lett, SIAM Jour. Appl.Math.
- Regular contact with BAESYSTEMS regarding their slender body codes and developments in slender body theories.